5 Tips To Buying The Right Size In A Unisex T-Shirt
It’s exciting to see the fashion world getting closer to genderless apparel. For a long time it’s been pretty common for women to wear men’s clothes, ie. The Boy Friend Jean, but now we are seeing cis-males wear clothes that have typically been worn by women. Harry Styles, Pete Davidson and Kid Cudi all wore dresses in the last 6 months and it’s refreshing to see. Today, we are going to go back to where it all started, the unisex t-shirt, and talk about tips on buying the right size in a unisex t-shirt, that could apply to other genderless items. Here are our 5 tips when buying a unisex t-shirt.
1) Was it designed initially for a man or woman? Typically, when something says “unisex” it usually means it was sized for a man and women should size down a size to adjust to that, but this isn’t always the case with all unisex items. The brand should make the customer aware of how the garment was designed so the customer knows how to adjust their sizing.
2) What size is the model wearing? Brands today should include pictures of the item on models, savvy brands include what size the model is wearing and some basic measurements of that model. A shopper should pay attention to this to get a relative idea of what size they should buy for themselves.
3) Look for a sizing chart. Returns are one of the biggest expenses for brands, so more and more brands are including a sizing chart. You’ll want to understand your own measurements to make sure to order the right size.
4) Is the item pre-washed? T-shirts are made of cotton and if they aren’t prewashed there is a good chance it could shrink a bit when you wash it. Understanding this is going to be key in ordering the right size. If an item is prewashed you should expect the item to fit similarly after the first wash, if it isn’t you should expect it to lose a little length (1/4-1/2””) and be tighter around the body and arms. Look for tips from the brand on if you should size up or buy your normal size.
5) Look for customer reviews. The most unbiased feedback you can get is from a customer who bought the item. Most companies use a customer review application that they add to their website and most of them now have some type of sizing feedback from the brand. This will likely be one of the most important pieces of information you can get that will help you with finding your right size in a Unisex T-Shirt.